”Hillsborough County has consistently been ranked the worst or near the worst in Florida for DUI crashes, injuries, and fatalities.
When Do You Contact
A Tampa Criminal Defense
Lawyer Regarding DUI Diversion – RIDR?
The Florida State Attorney’s Office (SAO) has established the Reducing Impaired Driving Recidivism (“RIDR”) initiative. "RIDR" seeks to aggressively target and reduce impaired driving by imposing enhanced sanctions like alcohol monitoring devices and DUI education programs on first-time, non-aggravated DUI offenders.
What is RIDR?
As of March 1, 2018, those charged for the first-time of DUI may be eligible for the "RIDR Program". The RIDR program allows you to complete the similar sanctions for a first-time DUI plus it requires the installation of an ignition interlock device and/or SCRAM monitor. If your DUI case was drug related a PharmCheck Drugs of Abuse Patch may be required.
Who is eligible?
1. Case must be a misdemeanor DUI.
2. No minor in the vehicle, BAC of .20 or higher, or a crash.
3. No prior: DUI, alcohol-related reckless driving, DWLS with serious bodily injury or death, leaving the scene of an accident with injury or death, vehicular homicide, DUI diversion program or more than one non-DUI diversion program as an adult, or, in the five years prior to the date of offense, no adjudication, a withhold, or any portion of a sentence on a felony.
4. No pending: Florida driver license suspension, DUI, DWLS with serious bodily injury or death, leaving the scene of an accident with injury or death, vehicular homicide, or participation in Pre-Trial Intervention or probation.
Tampa Criminal Defense LawyersFree Consultation
Our Tampa criminal defense lawyers represent clients in both state and federal court on all criminal charges.
Should I Hire a Tampa Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Florida’s penalties for DUI are severe and our Tampa criminal defense lawyers examine carefully every element of your case to provide you with the best possible defense at this difficult point in your life. Furthermore, defending a DUI charges requires the understanding of complex defenses which are unique to these types of cases. Contacting a criminal defense attorney early on ensures you’re not missing out from defenses that may not be available later on down the line.
The SAO will assign a sanction level to eligible cases:
- Level 1–BAC at or below .15
- Level 2– BAC above .15 or no breath sample
- Level 3–Drug-related DUIs
At arraignment, the offender will waive speedy trial and agree to set the case for disposition approximately sixty (60) days out.
Before disposition, the offender must provide proof of completion of the Pre-Plea Sanctions to the SAO.
At disposition, the offender who has completed the Pre-Plea Sanctions may accept the Plea Offer, enter a plea, and be sentenced as part of the RIDR program.
All offenders must:
- remain crime-free;
- complete DUI School and begin recommended treatment;
- attend the MADD Victim Impact Panel; and
- complete ten community service
Level 1 and Level 2 offenders must further:
- provide proof of installation of ignition interlock alcohol monitoring device or a continuous alcohol monitoring device, e.g.
Level 3 offenders must further:
- not possess or consume alcohol, illegal drugs, or non- prescribed drugs; and
- use PharmCheck Drugs of Abuse Patch with results provided to the
Upon satisfaction of the Pre-Plea Sanctions, offenders will be offered a plea of reckless driving with the following sanctions:
- Withhold of adjudication;
- Twelve months probation;
- Standard court costs and conditions of probation;
- Ten day vehicle immobilization;
- No possession or consumption of alcohol, illegal drugs, or non-prescribed drugs during probation; and
- Successful completion of DUI School and any recommended treatment.
Level 1 offenders must further complete:
- Fifty community service; and
- Three months of ignition interlock alcohol monitoring or continuous alcohol
Level 2 offenders must further complete:
- Seventy-five community service hours; and
- Six months of ignition interlock alcohol monitoring or continuous alcohol
Level 3 offenders must further:
- Complete fifty community service hours; and
- Wear a PharmCheck Drugs of Abuse Patch for three months with results provided to HCSO
Finding DUI Diversion RIDR Attorney In Tampa
If you have been charged with DUI and you're in need of legal help, contact a criminal defense lawyer at The Law Office of Mahmud Yennes. We will work hard on your case!Free Consultation